I try to remember the most important things:
Sadly I do not have a mug reminding me to take and then upload knitting progress pictures.
The front grew quickly once I was past the rather bothersome garter stitch edge. It's not difficult to knit, it's garter stitch, it's just that it feels like endless garter stitch. The edge is knit side to side then stitches are picked up to knit the front, it's the same on the back and the sleeves. It is shaped with short rows and the bottom edge is ruffled with a picot. It looks good but ohmygoodness it was BORING to knit it. I couldn't knit mindlessly as I needed to keep careful count so I knew when the short rows started. I do like the edging though, I suppose it's worth it!
It does make knitting the right front an unappealing prospect but I'm sure I'll be happy with it when it's done. I have marked up the rows where the buttons will go on the left front and made a note of these so I actually remember to knit the button holes on the right front (a bonus of this cardigan is that the button band is knit with the fronts so no fussing about picking that up afterwards)
I am pleased to be progressing with this anyway. It's my weekend project, during the week I knit socks as I may only have a short amount of knitting time. At the weekend I can sit and get stuck into bigger projects so I'm hoping that I will find enough time this weekend to get the right front done or at least most of the way done. I'm not entirely looking forward to sewing it up when I'm finished with the knitting but this yarn (Rowan Luxury Cotton DK) is very drapey so I do think it will benefit from the additional structure seams add. I do think my next garment will be seamless though.
I'm very pleased that I am working my way through my stash bit by bit and keeping to my goals for the year of actually using up my garment quantities of yarn which were entirely bought in sales with no real project in mind for them!
My project page for Maggie with yarn details is here.
More WIPW posts can be found on Tami's blog here.
I finished my cowl. The way the weather is I feel like I could be wearing it now! I'm really happy with the way it came out and I just love this yarn, it's such a gorgeous colour and so soft and snuggly. I'm looking forward to knitting the matching fingerless mitts.
I am going to show you something now and I suggest you get a cup of tea and sit down, it's quite shocking and rather upsetting. Are you ready? Well there was a little accident in the Monkey household...
Do you see what's wrong with that picture? Let's get a bit closer shall we?
One of my 5mm knitpro nova tips...bent...bah! I am not happy. I believe it was stepped on and whilst I know it shouldn't have been on the floor (and am not entirely certain how it came to be left on the floor) but I'm still upset. Fortunately I don't need a 5mm tip at the moment but I must remember to replace it before I come to do a project using a 5mm needle only to find I don't have one any more.
Still bent needles aside I've had a good weekend and am feeling quite accomplished to have another WIP turn into an FO...I'm ignoring the fact it was a new WIP and not one that has been sitting there for ages unknit. Ho hum.
I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend and has an excellent week.
It's OK to knit new things anyway, I'm "stash-busting" and that's a good thing. The current bit of stash I've decided to bust is the bit that expanded last October when I went to Loop in London. One of my purchases there was a divinely soft skein of Old Maiden Aunt Alpaca/Silk Sport in "Last Night's Red Dress" now I'm not sure what was done in this red dress as the yarn is quite definitely purple to me! Still it's beautiful and soft and I bought it entirely on a whim then had no idea what to do with it.
Well I found a pattern in my latest copy of Simply Knitting and decided that this yarn would be just lovely for it. The pattern, Aqua Ripples, is for a simple lace cowl and matching fingerless mitts. It's written to be knit in Natural Dye Studio Queenied Love which is double knitting weight and a bit heavier than the Old Maiden Aunt but I decided to give it a go anyway and see how it went. It seems to be going well so far but when I come to the mitts I'm going to use a smaller needle as I think 4mm is really a little big for the yarn I'm using and my hands and wrists are stupidly skinny compared to the rest of me anyway so a tighter fit on the mitts would be better.
Anyway I'm happy. I'm using up yarn and the magazine purchase was actually worth it as for once I'm knitting one of the printed patterns! Amazing.